Sunday, August 4, 2013

ARDENUFF

It's not all beer and skittles being a foreigner.  

I remember when I was registering for the walk on Saturday, the lady at the desk asked my name.  

I said it, and spelt it out, as usual.  

She look at her papers a moment, and still in the 'L's...she asked me to repeat it.  

So I did.  

She turned a few pages in order to appear officious & still in command...but then looked at me again and gave a sheepish smile, stammering apologetically, 'I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you again!'  

So I repeated my name and the spelling, slowly, deliberately.  

"AY...ARR...DEE...EEE...ENNN.  

ARDEN."  

It felt like the Spelling Bee from Hell.  

Anticipating more blankety blanks, I then pointed to the letter A on a board behind her, and she nodded, & turned to the section with the 'A's...& I pointed out my name.  

It would appear- or so I was told today- the way we say 'A' sounds to an American like I am saying 'I'.  

It's can be a laborious affair- & this, in a country where we supposedly speak the same language!  

How the hell do people cope in a country where they do not share a common linguistic bond?

I feel like a prick even talking about this...because it sounds like I am suggesting the woman was thick...which I am not.  

& chances are...she may have felt embarrassed too.  

(& do you know...it never even OCCURRED to me to show her some form of ID!)  

I ALWAYS have my passport, name clearly printed inside!

So in the end...let's face it...

I'm the thick one!

No comments:

Post a Comment