Thursday, May 23, 2013

No Highway Robbery...

Letter sent to the Portland Observer today (unedited) ...
 
 
Just a thumbs up to our local Police.

(They used to be the TOG, but now I see they are the Highway Patrol, to keep in step with our American cousins, I guess.)

I had occasion to drive through their roadblock yesterday morning. Leading S/C PAYNE gave my vehicle the once over. He advised me of a few matters, which I was on the verge of attending to. (aren't we all.) & he gave me my paperwork promptly and cordially.

I think it needs to be said, this officer's conduct was first rate.

No one wants to spend money on their car- especially in these lean times.

But safety is safety.

According to the paper today, tyres were the main issue. If a driver is trying to wring every last drop of use out of his rubbers before they peel off, he runs the risk of road trauma- not only to himself, but to other road users.

That is selfishness & pig ignorance.

But I have to say the conduct of the police was tempered with moderation.

We here in Portland may count our blessings with regard to our highway law enforcement.

I spend a good part of the year in the States, and the Highway Patrol there can be vicious, bloodthirsty brutes. One false move, and they leave your carcass in the desert for the buzzards.

But Mr. Payne's policing was pretty much pitch perfect.

There are times- especially given our 3 km 'leeway' rule regarding speed limits (which incidentally is a worldwide JOKE), when one could be tempted to think our police are mere revenue collectors for the money hungry government.

If that is the case- I saw no evidence of it that day.

Bad news makes better copy than good, but on this occasion, the news is good. So there.

& in times like these...it's good to hear a bit of good news.

Outstanding.

John Warwick Arden

No comments:

Post a Comment