Saturday, June 2, 2012

Troller Ball Part 2.

OK. So we established I’m pretty sure I have Trollish tendencies.

But a Troll is no big fat scary deal.

Just as a 'Homosexual' is not automatically a 'Paedophile'- a 'Troll' is not automatically, say a 'Hacker'.

The fear driven inference is all.

He’s not so scary at all, when you look at him up close.

I kinda’ like my Troll.

You just have to get to know him- rather than sit in a huddle like terrified villagers, too scared to take him on to get to other lands for fear of getting’ ate.

And the best way to know him- is to understand the extent to which his tendencies are merely a magnified version of our own darker inclinations.

‘He’ is ‘we’.

Not ‘that Troll’ over there’- not separate. (Ie: ‘not ‘that Nazi over there’.)

For, if I understand him correctly the Troll is related (distant or otherwise dependant on your understanding of him) to our inner ‘Nazi’- who I have blogged about in the past.


‘Nazi’ as ARCHETYPE, that is – the mythos rather than the reality- applying to someone who exerts fascistic, controlling, right wing tendencies over another.

‘You took my parking space, you Nazi’.

‘No soup for you!!’

Can be funny.  Because we all know him- & have been him.

The Troll- like our Nazi- is an archetypal personification of our mischievous nature.

But is a Troll really as bad???

Back to the definition briefly.  someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Is this really such a bad thing?

Even in its worst case manifestation- where the Troll is said to be "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Does this not say more about inadequate security than the Troll?

Case in point; let’s says there is a Michael Jackson Tribute Site.

Let’s say, I decide to leave a comment expressing my outrage at all the adulation showered upon a child molester who can sing.

Am I a Troll?  Maybe.

Am I wrong?  Arguable.

Would it matter if he was not famous?

If I left such a message on a tribute site for a rape victim saying something like, ‘oh, the way she was dressed she was asking for it’…

Sure, it would be rude and inappropriate…
      
But wrong?


Illegal?

Would it matter how many times I left the comment?

Surely I would be blocked?

And what about stalking?

Is ‘Stalking’ and ‘Trolling’ the same thing?

At law, no; stalking is an offence.

‘Trolling is not an offence’.

The distinction is probably best argued by smarter heads than mine.

And I am not a stalker.  Had I been…I would know about it.

It is pathological, and unlike the Troll…seldom stays hidden for long.   

I never stalk.

Once I am dumped, dropped, de-friended or blocked…

That is the end of it.

For me, rejection is my natural state of being from childhood.

Why would I resist an affirmation of what I know to be where I belong?

So I have never stalked.

But I am pretty sure I have trolled.

I think many more of us have than are prepared to admit.

The more actualised amongst us might acknowledge him, & have found a way to live with him.  Others live in denial.

Some suggest that being a Troll might be a personality disorder. 

Anyone here longer than a few days knows that people with personality disorders on the net are rife. As I have said in the past- being human may arguably be a personality disorder, given the way we are destroying ourselves.

So why is ‘Trolling’ any more heinous than what seems to be a fundamental pathological toxic human obsession?

Is it not Trollish to deny this reality that sits like a turd in our bath-tub?


No comments:

Post a Comment