Sunday, September 15, 2013

Racey Dispatches From Orleans.


I notice FEMA had no trouble finding their way to Colorado. 

Hmmm...

I met a guy from the Big Uneasy on the plane to Canada who said the New Orleans flood wasn't as bad as it looked on the news, and the place is now back to normal.


Why don't I believe him?

No...I mean, I want to know WHY I don't believe what he said.

Do I like the idea I have in my head...?

The picture of the downtrodden, the forgotten, the disenfranchised, the maligned, the marginalised, the exploited...to the point where I am simply unavailable to any other possibility?

Or is my gut-feeling that he is wrong, actually correct?


And another thing- does me taking into account his fair skin in the light of these comments make me a racist?


Truth is an elusive beast.  

We so often tip-toe around it from a safe distance like door-mice 'round a hungry cat. 


I guess I will have to go there to find out for certain...   

1 comment:

  1. It wasn't bad for the wealthy. But if you're poor, you're fucked. I went six months after the hurricane to help my father-in-law move away (that was the last straw) and let me tell you, it was as bad as they made it look on TV.

    ReplyDelete