Thursday, January 24, 2013

Evolution My Arse...




OK...I watched 'Expendables 2' the other night.  I love those action ensemble pieces, like the 'Dirty Dozen'- & this is certainly of that oeuvre- on crack.

I'm not doing a movie review; that 'aint my thang.  And I am still deciding whether I watched the film in order to keep my finger on the pulse of the level of violence in Hollywood movies from a political POV (I would hate to be one of these fuckless wonders who criticises films & this genre without actually WATCHING them), or whether I simply wanted to satiate my blood-lust for primal pleasures by living vicariously through big buffed, beefy (& mostly old) action heroes.
 
Who cares.  I was amused by all the bullets, blood, battle ballet and nudging and winking between these semi-retired action impresario's.  I was especially amused to note the body count, and the special effects were without equal as hundreds of evil doers were routinely converted to mince meat.

But I was also amused to note that despite the body count- they could not allow Arnie to say 'Yippee-kay-yay- "MOTHERFUCKER"...I guess because it might be offensive.

I can tell you this; politically speaking? Nothing has changed much since Brando's 'obscenity' speech in 'Pocca'.  
 
Bottom line?  Wholesale slaughter is fine...rude words are not. 
 
Twas ever thus...shall ever be.  

Evolution my ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment