Saturday, December 29, 2012

RIP GEORGE


I used to love George Carlin.  I ONCE belonged to a huge cult following here on FB, so I KNOW I am spitting in the eye of a sacred cow when I say I no longer care for him.

Once upon a time, I used to love his wry, pithy, witty observations about the pettiness, ignorance and cruelty of the human race.  I hated people too, so his jibes suited me.  However, at some point, maybe about a year or two ago, we had a parting of the ways.   I tried to read his collection of books a few weeks ago, & I could not.  An 'Orgy of George' was an ORGY of hatred and vitriole.  And it DID NOT let up.  After about 20 pages, I could no longer stand it.

Either he changed at some point- or I did.  I think it was me.  At some point, George gave up on the human race, & even went as far as to say he loved 'disaster', 'large numbers of people dying in horrible ways' & 'people under pressure'.  Unless he was bullshitting (& he swore up & down he was not ), by his oft stated rationale he would have found Newtown funny.   Not me; I no longer wish harm on anyone.

This is NOT a reformed smoker, telling you to quit the smokes.  It's probably just a question of taste.  When I was a kid, my best friend and I loved Motorhead.  Then one day he inexplicably started hating them, and became a Def Leppard fan.  We change.  Our tastes change.  We evolve, and we move on.  George was undeniably talented and funny; I have simply- moved on.

I think we have a lot to be ashamed of as a species- but we also have an ENORMOUS AMOUNT to be proud of, and commended for.  So...RIP GEORGE.  I will never wish you ill, I will never dance on your grave or laugh at your bones- but I cannot buy into your pessimism any longer.

Every funnyman comes from a place of truth- & your truth is no longer mine.      

No comments:

Post a Comment